Freedom Writers
A Film Analysis
presented by
MICHAEL ROY R. ROCA
BSEd IV-E
to
Dr. Danilo B. Solayao
In Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements in
VALUES, ETHICS AND RELEVANT LAWS
Polytechnic University of the Philippines
San Pedro, Laguna
1st Sem., SY 2011-2012
I. Preliminaries
A. Title of the Film:
“ Freedom Writers”
B. Scriptwriter
Richard LaGravanese
C. Director:
Richard LaGravanese
D. Major Characters
Scott Glenn - (Steve Gruwell) |
Patrick Dempsey - (Scott Casey) |
Mario - (Andre) |
April Lee Hernandez - (Eva) |
Robert Wisdom - (Dr. Carl John) |
John Benjamin Hickey - (Brian Gelford) |
Pat Carroll - (Miep Gies) |
Hunter Parrish - (Ben) |
Kristin Herrera - (Gloria) |
Jaclyn Ngan - (Sindy) |
Sergio Montalvo - (Alejandro) |
Jason Finn - (Marcus) |
Deance Wyatt - (Jamal) |
Vanetta Smith - (Brandy) |
Gabriel Chavarria - (Tito) |
Antonio Garcia - (Miguel) |
Giovonnie Samuels - (Victoria) |
II. Introduction
This paperwork became a tall order for me and my congested schedule. Yet again, fast starting was not my plan though I wanted to be such. A couple of days before the deadline, I hit the ground running for my adrenaline pushed me to watch the film, digest it, and do this paper afterwards.
Nonetheless, the film was a complete treat for me. I could not relate more because my practicum is really like that, Children with obvious indifference
to learning and totally malnourished in proper manners. I knew from the start that this film will inspire me- which it did because of its unquestionable relation to the avenue I am currently walking on. It is hard to be a teacher; however, I know this inspirational movie would get me through the hard times in my practicum. I watched this movie twice and for awhile, I forgot the ticking clock. I only had one thing in mind: Freedom Writers.
III. Synopsis
Erin Gruwell, a 23- year old teacher, was a greenhorn but eager professor of Wilson High School. She was assigned to handle a section of students with various cultural backgrounds. Aside from that, the values that the students initially manifested on her were rather hostile and not well- disciplined. Most of the students were members of gangs. She was having a very hard time dealing with their obnoxious behavior but her spirit was still undying. She wanted to do anything to put a change not only on their mind but also on their hearts. Her problem also rose with her misunderstanding with her department head and her husband who was very much affected by Erin having to spend more time at school than usual.
Erin, in class, saw this drawing by one of the students and it had a rather racist topic. This led to her discourse about the holocaust. She also assigned the students to record their everyday endeavors via a diary. Little by little, it was becoming apparent that the attitude of her students towards her was changing for the better. They then started to open up and respect Erin.
Erin asked them to compile their diaries in book form and after, she titled it The Freedom Writers’ Diary. There, she learned the stories behind the students’ lives and knew that they really all had very hard times in their everyday livings. Erin’s love for her students grew as time went by and so did the students’ for her.
But Margaret, the Department Head did not like Erin’s style of teaching. And after two years of handling the students she loved, Erin was told by Margaret that she would not return next year for the students’ Junior and senior year. And to make matters worse, her relationship with her husband grew bitterer as time went by and afterwards, her husband decided to divorce her. But after all the derision and hard times she was in, she was still as undaunted as before. Her love for her work and for her students reigned more than anything- or anyone else.
She did anything that was necessary for Margaret to renege her early decision that was to call a halt on Erin’s stay in the school. And after much consideration and contemplation, Margaret decided to let the young teacher stay. The story ended with Erin having to teach the students for two more years. She finally had it smoothly and well with her “Freedom Writers”.
IV. Analysis
1. Describe the title of the film. How appropriate is it?
· At the initial parts of the film, the appropriateness of the title was not manifested. Then, as the movie rolled on, the title was finally justified. It is pretty suitable to the movie itself because the diaries of the students were compiled as one and that became a compilation of the “Writers” as she coined it. For me, it was termed “Freedom” because the students themes in their writings were their hardships and their willingness to get out of those circumstances and have freedom from those traumatic and harsh adversities.
2. Characterize the protagonist/s and antagonist/s (if there’s any) of the story.
· Erin is the protagonist in the movie. The young teacher who wanted nothing but to teach and to touch the lives of her students. Her attitude was beyond compare especially for her passion. Her determination and will was peerless and must be mimicked by us future educators. This story, as far as I am concerned, is an example of Man Vs. Nature although it might seem as though the persons around her were the ones doing the troubles. And from the nature of the conflict, there is no apparent human antagonist.
3. Who among the characters impressed you most? Why?
· Obviously, I was totally impressed by Erin and her drive towards better relationship with her students. Sometimes, I could see myself in her, in a way that, I also happen to face students with attitudes which are close to being antisocial. But unlike Erin, I would sometimes resort to some other, more verbal and obnoxious, ways of pacifying and taming the students. I was impressed because if that were some teachers put in her situation, that somebody would otherwise desert the job. But she stayed beside her class and at the end, she earned the respect she was due.
4. What part of the film do you like best? Explain.
· Honestly, there is nothing sweeter for me than to see the end of the story where Erin got the chance to handle her students as Juniors and later on Seniors. It just had a special effect on me as a would-be-educators. That may seem ludicrous for some but in a teacher’s life, the students become his family, it will inevitably come to a point where he will choose his students over some things or person that supposedly have a heavier value for him. And Erin got it.
5. Cite at least five (5) lines or dialogue in the film that reflects the character’s ethics. Interpret the meaning of each line.
· Andre: Justice doesn't mean the bad guy goes to jail, it just means that someone pays for the crime.
..This line by Andre is very influential for me. Justice can sometimes have loopholes thus making the bad guy escape at times. Nonetheless, it does not mean that no one pays for the crime. Even the convicted has or has not done the crime, he becomes the sacrificial lamb for the sake of seeking a redress by the victims.
· Eva: White people wanting respect like they deserve it for free.
Erin Gruwell: I'm a teacher, it doesn't matter what color I am.
Erin Gruwell: I'm a teacher, it doesn't matter what color I am.
… In States, color references is prevalent. They sometimes base their attitude toward other people on the color of their skin. Here, Erin expressed that Eva should not be like that, though in an implicit way. A person must be respected based on their conduct and not on their racial roots.
· Miep Gies: But even an ordinary secretary or a housewife or a teenager can, within their own small ways, turn on a small light in a dark room.
…This simply means that everyone, regardless of their background, has the capability to make a change, no matter how small it may be. We must not rely on one person or group to raise us back up, we must learn how to row our own boat and learn how to bring up change in iout lives and to some others’ as well.
· Andre: Why should I give you my respect to you? Because you're a teacher? I don't know you. How do I know you're not a liar standing up there. How do I know you're not a bad person standing up there? I'm not just gonna give you my respect because you're called a teacher.
…This rebuttal by Andre makes a lot of sense, even though it may sound much disrespectful. This means that however high one person is on the social ladder, respect cannot be gotten immediately. One must still gather the building blocks and do whatever is there to be done to earn the respect of anyone.
…This line does not really have any deeper and mature meaning. However, this just made me laugh. It portrayed how innocent (or naughty) Andre is about anything Literature. This showed how tough it is for Erin to mold the students to become better persons
6. What were your feelings toward the end of the film? Expound.
· An inspirational film like this, for me, is catchy enough not to justify the way the end part went. However, If I were the director, I would have shown the lives of the individual students right after High School and College and how Erin has made their lives entirely different. I would also like to show Erin after many years. Did she become successful? Do her students constantly visit her to show their gratitude and whatnot? The endings should have been made longer and more detailed. But like what I said, this movie is beautiful enough to still be beautiful even without a stinging ending.
V. Conclusion and Recommendation
1. What insights and social ethics have you gained from the film?
· I learned many intangible things by watching this film. But one of the most important things is the word “Dedication”. Erin had it, more than anyone else. Just when I thought that the adversities of her were enough for her to give it all up, she fought with it and eventually win the trust and love of her students. I also learned that it is of the essence to have a witty mind in this kind of society. Without it, a person will be washed away by the waves of bad influences, indifference, and violence that have engulfed the society. Her students, though they acted like that, seemed to have strong wits and will to get out of the quandaries they were in.
2. Would you recommend this film to a friend? If yes, why? If no, why?
· I would definitely recommend this film to everyone who wants, and needs moral push and motivation. Especially, of course, on my co- would-be educators. They all need this film to be watched because by this film, we will be able to understand how to handle children, our students, perfectly, like what Erin did.
Walang komento:
Mag-post ng isang Komento